Ever since I became fascinated with Doctor Who, I’ve always wondered where The Doctor came from. I know he is a Time Lord, and he belong(ed/s) to a planet of Time Lords, but I wanted to know the name of the Universe, and all about it. But then, in the episode of “The Runaway Bride”, DW mentioned that he was from Gallifrey, and I thought he was just being cheeky, because he has never said where he was from (this I later found, that DW has actually mentioned in the past, likely in the seasons of Classic Who). So, I began my research, and I found out that he really comes from a planet called Gallifrey, which is a planet in the Whoniverse. Also, going further into my research (to satisfy my curiosity), I found some really interesting things about planet Gallifrey. Therefore, I decided to narrow it down to a list of top five interesting things to know about planet Gallifrey, and they are:
- Gallifrey has an alternative name, “The Shining Worlds of the Seven Systems”. it is called that because if seen from Space, Gallifrey is a yellow-orange looking planet (so, it may look shiny/bright).
- Gallifrey trees have silver leaves, and when the Autumn wind blows through them, they create music-like sounds. They have two Suns, and when then second sun rises in the South, it would make the mountains shine. Also, by Daytime, the sky resembles a normal Earth-like blue sky, but my night it is a burnt-orange color.
- It has more than 24 seasons, but they all resemble the conditions and dryness of Earth’s Serengeti.
- The Gallifreyan language when written may seem compliated, but it is not really complicated. the language is written as circular/almost-circular shapes, which from my research, looks to be from the Gallifreyan Math.
- it could take hundreds of years for a Gallifreyan child to mature into and Adult. this is because their growth is slower than that of any species. the Gallifreyans have a normal lifespan of 300 years, but some actually leave to be 700 years or older. Furthermore, without their modern regeneration habit, a Gallifreyan would be confined to a wheelchair, most likely before their 200th year of age (or during the period after their 200th year).
Bonus Fact– Gallifreyans can not “cross-breed” with Humans because for some reason it is biologically impossible (this could also be a reason why DW has not been in a relationship any of the women he seems “taken” with).
Like many fanatics of Scientific Fiction, who are fascinated by languages of their favorite show(s), there are a lot of people who would like to learn the Gallifreyan language. so, if you are interested in learning/knowing more about the language, there’s a site which could help you learn the Gallifreyan language.
and here are the sites which I found my information about Gallifrey: